Fully updated for 2021, this is our essential handbook to defending New Jersey Workers’ Compensation claims. This edition includes an entirely new chapter analyzing how COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) claims are handled under the New Jersey Workers' Compensation Act. Also significant: the impact of recent case law on Medical Provider Claims. We also updated all references to rates and benefits references to 2020-21 information.
Written in plain English, this guide provides a detailed analysis of relevant statutes and regulations; a complete recap of recent court decisions including 2019 & 2020 cases; and a full description of current practice. This book provides a behind-the-scenes look at the complicated issues and makes the law understandable for business owners.
What’s New in the 2021 Edition?
- Chapter 6: Expanded and enhanced section on dependency benefits including discussion of partial dependency and calculating death benefits.
- Chapter 6: New discussion on apportionment of liability in successive employment exposure claims.
- Chapter 9: Expansion of chapter on Medical Provider Claims to include updated practice tips and summary of recent litigation trends involving these actions. Extensive analysis of jurisdictional defenses available to combat these claims.
- Chapter 12: Entirely new chapter analyzing how COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) claims are handled under the New Jersey Workers' Compensation Act.
- Chapter 13: Updates to chapter on 'Trial & Judgment' to include latest filing statistics and trends.
- Chapter 16: Updates to chapter on 'Medicare Secondary Payer' to simplify guidance and include current best practices, including recommendations regarding seeking CMS approval of a proposed Set Aside.
- Updated Appendices including 2021 benefit maximums and minimums.
- Corrected in line case citations throughout to a more uniform style (i.e., replaced underling 'Blue Book' method of citation in with inline italics in text). Passim.
- CHAPTER 1: INITIAL REPORTING, CLAIM PETITION, AND ANSWER
- CHAPTER 2: JURISDICTION
- CHAPTER 3: EMPLOYERS AND EMPLOYEES
- CHAPTER 4: ARISING OUT OF AND IN THE COURSE OF EMPLOYMENT
- CHAPTER 5: DEFENSES
- CHAPTER 6: TEMPORARY AND PERMANENT DISABILITY BENEFITS
- CHAPTER 7: MEDICAL TREATMENT
- CHAPTER 8: MOTIONS FOR TEMPORARY AND MEDICAL BENEFITS
- CHAPTER 9: MEDICAL PROVIDER CLAIMS
- CHAPTER 10: TRAUMATIC INJURIES
- CHAPTER 11: OCCUPATIONAL EXPOSURE AND REPETITIVE USE CLAIMS
- CHAPTER 12: COVID-19 CLAIMS *New Chapter for 2021*
- CHAPTER 13: TRIAL & JUDGMENT
- CHAPTER 14: LIENS, CREDITS, OFFSETS, AND RISK TRANSFER
- CHAPTER 15: THE SECOND INJURY FUND
- CHAPTER 16: MEDICARE SECONDARY PAYER ACT
- CHAPTER 17: OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH ACT
- CHAPTER 18: HIPAA
- APPENDIX I. 'CHEAT SHEETS.'
- APPENDIX II: SCHEDULE OF DISABILITIES
- APPENDIX III: BENEFIT RATES BY YEAR
- ABOUT LOIS LLC
- ABOUT THE AUTHOR
About the Publication
List Price: $199.00 (Amazon)
6″ x 9″ (15.24 x 22.86 cm)
Black & White on White paper
BISAC: Law / Litigation
Instant Download Now:
Take the Next Step: Register for an Upcoming Webinar on New York Workers’ Compensation Law
Here are some upcoming New York Workers’ Compensation webinars:
More about our webinar learning series at LOIS.
About the Author, Gregory Lois, Esq.
Gregory Lois represents employers, self-insured companies, third party administrators, and insurance carriers in workers' compensation matters. Greg has served as lead attorney on more than 100 trials involving workplace discrimination, workers' compensation, and civil claims.
About New Jersey Defense at LOIS
For more than 20 years we have represented insurance carriers, self-insured employers, third party claim administrators, and employers before New Jersey’s Division of Workers’ Compensation. Our founding partner, Gregory Lois, is co-author of the LexisNexis “Practice Guide to Workers’ Compensation in New Jersey” (2017, ISBN:9781632838735) and served as Law Clerk to Hon. Joan Mott, Administrative Supervisor of Workers Compensation.
Along with partners Karen Vincent and Joe Jones (New Jersey Practice Group Team Leader) and a dedicated team of experienced attorneys and paraprofessionals, we handle New Jersey cases from cradle-to-grave. We want to be by your side, moving cases aggressively to closure from the start of litigation all the way through to settlement.
We only assign one attorney and one paralegal to each case. The attorney/paralegal assignments are made based on the court the case will be listed in.