From its founding, LOIS has pursued a unique approach to hiring, and our summer associate program is no exception. Selected applicants will have the opportunity to work directly with some of the most recognized and talented lawyers in the New York City region, including senior partners in the firm, on significant cases and matters. Our summer clerkship will be individually tailored to the interests of the summer associate and the needs of the law firm.
What will you be doing?
You will be responsible for researching, compiling, comparing, and organizing legal documents for lawyers. You will assist lawyers in court proceedings.
The summer clerk is often asked to:
- Research issues before the court.
- Write memorandums based on research.
- Participate in the formation of case law.
- Interact with chambers staff, court personnel, litigants and the public.
- Assist attorneys with settlement conferences and discovery disputes.
- Review briefs submitted by the parties.
- Verify cited legal authority.
- Draft a variety of legal documents including trial briefs, memoranda and orders.<
- Research and analyze complex legal issues in workers’ compensation appeals.
- Draft concise, well-researched briefs, memoranda and other legal documents.
- Keep abreast of changes in the law.
- Review dockets of pending litigation.
- Review complaints, petitions, motions, or pleadings.
The summer clerk will work out of our New Jersey (Paramus) office.
How to apply.
While applicants with law review and/or moot court experience in the top 10% of the class are preferred, LOIS recognizes that students who have prior or concurrent work experience often bring skills and judgment that may be more valuable to the practice of law than solely academic credentials. Selection for this position closes by early April.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and short writing sample for consideration via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “Summer Law Clerk Position” in the subject line.