This is Gregory Lois’ practical, up-to-date, and easy-to-understand guide to workers’ compensation claims in New York. This book is designed for employers, attorneys, claim adjusters, physicians, self-insured employers and vocational rehabilitation workers.
This guide is written in plain English by a New York State attorney and provides a detailed analysis of relevant statutes and regulations; a complete recap of recent court decisions including 2016 & 2017 cases; and a full description of current practice. This book provides a behind-the-scenes look at the complicated issues and makes the law understandable for business owners.
About the Book.
List Price: $129.00
6″ x 9″ (15.24 x 22.86 cm)
Black & White on White paper
BISAC: Law / Labor & Employment
New in the 2019 edition:
- Updated rates and benefits sections with 2018-2019 rates.
- Discussion of virtual hearing program.
- Updates to reflect statutory changes form April 2017 statutory reform.
Includes a summary of the Medical Treatment Guidelines (Chapter 8) and the New York State Guidelines for Determining Permanent Impairment. Up-to-date chapters on the Medicare Secondary Payer Act and MMSEA, OSHA regulations, and HIPAA considerations are included.
[Revision date: November 1, 2018]
- Chapter 1: Claim Overview (beginning at page 5)
- Chapter 2: Fighting Frivolous Claims (page 37)
- Chapter 3: Jurisdiction (page 47)
- Chapter 4: Employers and Employees (page 55)
- Chapter 5: Defenses (page 69)
- Chapter 6: Arising Out Of and In the Course of Employment (page 79)
- Chapter 7: Indemnity Benefits (page 87)
- Chapter 8: Medical Benefits and the Medical Treatment Guidelines (page 103)
- Chapter 9: Death Benefits (page 119)
- Chapter 10: Off the Job injuries; Disability Benefits (page 123)
- Chapter 11: Traumatic Injuries (page 125)
- Chapter 12: Occupational Claims (page 129)
- Chapter 13: Trials and Hearings (page 137)
- Chapter 14: Independent Medical Evaluations (page 153)
- Chapter 15: Understanding Loss of Wage Earning Capacity (LWEC) (page 163)
- Chapter 16: Settling Claims (page 187)
- Chapter 17: Reopening Closed PPD Cases (page 191)
- Chapter 18: Liens, Third Party Settlements, Special Fund Reimbursement, and Loss Transfer Litigation. (page 195)
- Chapter 19: Penalties. (page 217)
- Chapter 20: World Trade Center Health Fund (page 223)
- Chapter 21: Medicare Secondary Payer Act (page 229)
- Chapter 22: OSHA- Developing a Comprehensive Prevention Strategy for Workplace Injuries (page 241)
- Chapter 23: HIPAA (page 253)
- Chapter 24: Owner Controlled Insurance Policy (OCIP) and Contractor Controlled Insurance Policy (CCIP)(page 269)
Author: Gregory Lois