This is Gregory Lois’ practical, up-to-date, and easy-to-understand guide to workers’ compensation claims in New York. This book is designed for employers, attorneys, claim adjusters, physicians, self-insured employers and vocational rehabilitation workers.
This guide is written in plain English by a New York State attorney and provides a detailed analysis of relevant statutes and regulations; a complete recap of recent court decisions including 2016 & 2017 cases; and a full description of current practice. This book provides a behind-the-scenes look at the complicated issues and makes the law understandable for business owners.
About the Book.
List Price: $129.00
6″ x 9″ (15.24 x 22.86 cm)
Black & White on White paper
BISAC: Law / Labor & Employment
New in the 2018 edition:
- Updated rates and benefits sections with 2017-2018 rates.
- Updates to reflect statutory changes form April 2017 statutory reform.
- New chapter on World Trade Center Health Fund (Chapter 20).
- Information on new 45 day hearing request (Chapter 1).
- New discussion of proposed Scheduled Loss of Use Impairment Guidelines (Chapter 14).
- Practical advice on using social media to combat fraud (Chapter 2).
- Case law updates including May 2017 Board Panel decision finding that the Medical Treatment Guidelines apply to out-of-state providers (Chapter 8).
- Updated Appendix with chart of maximum rates in effect by year (App. 5).
Includes a summary of the Medical Treatment Guidelines (Chapter 8, beginning at page 81) and the New York State Guidelines for Determining Permanent Impairment. Up-to-date chapters on the Medicare Secondary Payer Act and MMSEA, OSHA regulations, and HIPAA considerations are included.
[Revision date: October 24, 2017]
- Chapter 1: Claim Overview (beginning at page 5)
- Chapter 2: Fighting Frivolous Claims (page 31)
- Chapter 3: Jurisdiction (page 39)
- Chapter 4: Employers and Employees (page 45)
- Chapter 5: Defenses (page 57)
- Chapter 6: Arising Out Of and In the Course of Employment (page 65)
- Chapter 7: Indemnity Benefits (page 71)
- Chapter 8: Medical Benefits and the Medical Treatment Guidelines (page 81)
- Chapter 9: Death Benefits (page 95)
- Chapter 10: Off the Job injuries; Disability Benefits (page 99)
- Chapter 11: Traumatic Injuries (page 101)
- Chapter 12: Occupational Claims (page 105)
- Chapter 13: Trials and Hearings (page 111)
- Chapter 14: Independent Medical Evaluations (page 121)
- Chapter 15: Understanding Loss of Wage Earning Capacity (LWEC) (page 129)
- Chapter 16: Settling Claims (page 151)
- Chapter 17: Reopening Closed PPD Cases (page 161)
- Chapter 18: Liens, Third Party Settlements, Special Fund Reimbursement, and Loss Transfer Litigation. (page 165)
- Chapter 19: Penalties. (page 189)
- Chapter 20: World Trade Center Health Fund (page 189)
- Chapter 21: Medicare Secondary Payer Act (page 195)
- Chapter 22: OSHA- Developing a Comprehensive Prevention Strategy for Workplace Injuries (page 205)
- Chapter 23: HIPAA (page 215)
- Chapter 24: Owner Controlled Insurance Policy (OCIP) and Contractor Controlled Insurance Policy (CCIP)(page 228)
- Appendix I: Glossary of Terms (page 231)
- Appendix II: New York “Cheat Sheets.” (page 243)
- Appendix III: Scheduled Loss of Use Chart (page 245)
- Appendix IV: LWEC Weeks Chart (page 247)
- Appendix V: Maximum Rates by Year (page 249)
- Index (page 251)
Author: Gregory Lois