At LOIS we believe in giving back!
Empowering and Supporting Those With Disabilities
Over the years the Challenged Athletes Foundation has supported over sixty thousand disabled athletes. Sixty thousand individuals who define perseverance, who define dedication, and who define hard work. As we have gotten to know their journeys the LOIS Firm has come alongside to partner with this great Foundation to help those with a disability pursue their goals in sport.
At LOIS, we believe that our work encouraging disabled employees to return to the dignity and purpose of work is just one of the ways that supports that recovery from traumatic injury. We know that people with physical challenges live full, active lives and part of that is through participation in sports and an active lifestyle.
Often times the expensive cost of adaptive sports equipment can be an obstacle that keeps those with physical disabilities on the sidelines. Most medical insurance does not cover adaptive sports equipment; they deem these “luxury” items. LOIS believes that sport is a right and works to support the Challenged Athletes Foundation in its work to overcome this economic barrier.
How the Challenged Athletes Foundation Serves People with Physical Challenges
- Grants to individuals for sport related expenses not covered by insurance – adaptive sports equipment like prosthetic running feet, handcycles and sport wheelchairs. Travel, training and competition expenses.
- Camps & clinics – running & mobility, para-triathlon, swimming, adaptive cycling, wheelchair basketball, sit volleyball and more.
- Support for wounded veterans and first responders through Operation Rebound.
- Mentorship & community to empower individuals, strengthen communities and create new opportunities for all.
What It All Costs
$30,000 = a set of prosthetic running legs for a growing child
$15,000 = outdoor chair for cycling on trails
$5,000 = a custom track chair
$3,000 = a racing chair
$2,500 = a basketball wheelchair
$2,000 = a Hockey Sled + equipment
What LOIS is Doing to Support Challenged Athletes
LOIS is sponsoring a 5k Walk for the Challenged Athletes Foundation on Saturday, September 25, 2021 at 9:30 a.m. in Dunkerhook Park, Paramus, New Jersey.
LOIS is matching all donations made through the date of the event! This means that all donations made are doubled and will have an even greater impact in improving the lives of disabled athletes.
How You Can Get Involved!
Please join us in empowering individuals with physical disabilities around the world through sports. Individuals are welcomed to join us on our walk/run fundraiser and to make individual donations (matched by LOIS through September 25, 2021!)
If your company or employer would like to co-sponsor this event, please contact Greg Lois.
Other Ways We Are Giving Back: Sharing our Knowledge
We are part of a community of learners. We are proud of the Firm’s commitment to training the next generation of leaders in workers’ compensation. Every month, the Firm provides in-person and online training to a community of hundreds of risk professionals, attorneys, and medical care providers on the substance and theory of workers’ compensation law in New York and New Jersey.
Each month, we offer:
- Webinars, providing timely guidance on handling workers’ compensation claims in New York and New Jersey. Always free to the workers’ compensation community. Watch now.
- audio podcasts, including our “Third Friday’s” series, offering in depth discussion between attorneys on topics like opiates, OCIPS, and claims handling.
- our newsletter on emerging case law in New Jersey, New York, and Longshore cases.
- our plain English handbooks, designed for adjusters and risk professionals needing a handy reference to workers’ compensation law in their states. Always free to the workers’ compensation community. Download now.
Here is a sampling of our upcoming events.
For more upcoming Firm training and community events, click here.